Spiritual Support at eliseo
Committed to wellness in every facet of life.
At eliseo we are committed to wellness in every facet of life: physical, emotional, social, and spiritual.
What began in 1938 as a small joint mission of several area Lutheran congregations has grown into a thriving, vibrant, nurturing, and caring community true to our faith-based heritage. At eliseo we attend to our resident’s spiritual health by providing full-time on-campus chaplaincy services for residents, resident’s families, and staff regardless of their faith tradition.
During COVID and construction the space that was eliseo's chapel is being repurposed for other use, and a new, smaller prayer chapel and a new multipurpose room that will see use as our main chapel is under construction. In the meantime, like the ancient Israelites, we gather for worship, conversation, and consolation in all sorts of places along the way.
Some of the services our chaplains provide include:
- Daily chapel services on eliseo’s television channel 3 at 9 am.
- Sunday worship on channel 3 at 10 am.
- Monthly Communion service in independent apartment area
- Special seasonal and holiday services and events
- Individual visits with residents and families
- Weekly Bible studies throughout the facility
- Pastoral & palliative care
- Grief counseling & support
- Collaboration with staff to lead a variety of activities and programs.
Our chaplains are both ordained Word and Sacrament ministers of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
Chaplain Anna Bonaro
Pastor Anna Bonaro has served congregations in California and Washington and has done chaplain work/residencies in Colorado and California. Anna grew up in Colorado before moving to Decorah, IA to attend Luther College, earning her Bachelor of Arts degrees in both Communications, and then her Masters of Divinity at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in Berkeley, CA. Anna earned her Chaplain Residency certificate from UCSF in San Francisco, CA.
She and her husband Adrian, also a Lutheran Pastor, love camping in WA and road-tripping around the USA with their two young boys. Their family is rounded out by their two dogs, Blue and Gus.
These Covenant Churches partner with us in eliseo’s ministry, offering support, guidance, and accountability:
- Agnus Dei Lutheran Church, Gig Harbor
- Bethany Presbyterian Church, Tacoma
- Bethany Lutheran Church, Spanaway
- Christ the King Lutheran Church, Lakewood
- Lutheran Church of Christ the King, Tacoma
- Mount Cross Lutheran Church, University Place
- Peace Lutheran Church – Puyallup
- Peace Lutheran Church – Tacoma
- Redeemer Lutheran Church, Fircrest
- Resurrection Lutheran Church, Tacoma
- St. John’s Lutheran Church, Tacoma
- St. Mark’s Lutheran Church, Tacoma
- Trinity Lutheran Church, Tacoma
- United Lutheran Church, Tacoma